Changes are what editing is all about!
Today, I delivered my editorial edit of my YA manuscript, the Child of Chaos, to my publisher. It addressed a bunch of issues identified by my eagle-eyed beta readers.
Let me be clear: while I’m very proud of this work of fiction, it would not be nearly the story it is without the incredible help I received from some very good (and smart and insightful) friends, going back years.
I acknowledge that I start thinking about story from a world and plot perspective, but characters are what compel readers to keep reading, so I’ve been working hard on them for a while.
In a previous edit, I deepened my villain. Even so, he was never the problem. My villain steals the show every time he shows up.
My concern has been my protagonist for a long time. While we root for him, he always took a back seat to the villain’s shenanigans. No longer. With this edit, we truly get to know our hero, what makes him tick, why he needs to evolve, and why he’s a match for his nemesis.
The image you see attached to this post is my project page. It spells out all of the phases of Rhetoric Askew’s production pipeline (reproduced with permission). I’m so glad to be working with this publisher. It has been and will continue to be an incredible learning experience to get this book into your hands–not just from a production perspective, but also marketing. I’ve got my work cut out for me there.
The next step is to go into my line edit with the resident editor at Rhetoric Askew. I’m sure some of the feedback will be hard to hear, but I’m excited to get to a finished, polished draft of this book.
And I can’t wait to get into producing the visuals (the cover for instance). I’ve got plenty of experience with this kind of stuff from my game development days. It’s a wonderful experience working with talented people to see one’s vision come to life.
Thank you to everyone for being on this journey with me. I’m so glad to be able to share all of this with you, and I hope you stick with me!